Lightning: Information for Organized Sporting Events
Large outdoor stadiums should have action plans and procedures for lightning safety. These plans should include the following:
- An evacuation plan for both players and spectators
- A person monitoring all weather forecasts and reports
- A safe shelter
If you are attending an organized sporting event at an outdoor stadium during a lightning storm, you can minimize your risk of being struck by taking precautions:
- Remain calm.
- Listen for instructions from stadium personnel.
- Move to the designated safe shelters, away from metal poles and the open field. These shelters should be determined before the event if a chance of a storm exists.
- Wait for an all-clear signal, which should occur approximately 30 minutes after you hear the last clap of thunder.